Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

#21:White soup with bread bowls


This may be my favorite dinner, EVER. It's a combination a couple of recipes, and my whole family loves it when I make it. It's fat free, fairly easy, and super yummy!

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

2 cups nonfat dry powdered milk
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder (or 12 bullion cubes, but that’s super annoying!)
½ tsp black pepper
4 cups water
2 cups (approx) noodles
1-2 carrots, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1-2 chicken breasts

Combine milk, cornstarch, bullion and 2 cups water in a blender. (If using cubes, use very hot water. Mix the cubes and the water first, then blend in the rest.)

Pour into very large pot. Add onion, pepper, and remaining water. Cook over low heat until begins to thicken. Do not let boil. (If it boils, it will separate and look really nasty. Still tastes good, but looks awful!)

Meanwhile, place chicken, celery, and carrots in a medium pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Add noodles. Cook approx. 15 minutes, or until noodles and chicken are fully cooked. Drain. Shred chicken (Cooked chicken shreds really easy if you just kind of mush it through your fingers, almost in a “money” sign motion, just very firm.) Add to soup base.


Bread Bowls: I use my favorite 2-loaf bread recipe, dividing into 8 balls of dough. Cook like normal (try not to let them touch each other), cut a small slice off the top. hollow it out, and fill with soup!

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! I just might try this recipe next time it's my turn for roommate dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! There is nothing like a good bread bowl!! Even better when you can trust the cook and try their recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. I wish I had some of your soup now. Your blog name is cute. I used to live right by euless so I have heard of it :) Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had much success with bread bowls. You'r gonna have to show me!

    I just found this on Remodleholic! It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips