Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Hush

I pause on the stairs, one foot above the other.  I listen.  I hear the fridge kick on. A car passes outside.  Thunder rumbles (again still).

But nothing else.

For slightly more than 24 hours, I have been the only living thing in my house. (ok, to get technical, there are three houseplants, and probably some bugs hiding out, but you get the idea.)

A few weeks ago, my mother-in-law called.  In a nutshell, she told Hubby that she moved to our state to see her grandchildren, and she was going through withdrawals.  Seeing as how they had only closed on their house three days earlier, I was thinking they might want to get out of boxes a bit.

But with a marvelous long weekend in sight, we planned a mutually beneficial trip. She got to be  Grandma. I got time alone.

This is the first time in my married life that I've been alone in my house. 

(and the sky is now green outside my window!)

I've painted my entire living room (two coats). I've sewn something just for me.  I've watched non-animated movies. I've sang random songs at the top of my lungs. I've cleaned out our new freezer.  I've eaten random bad for me food.  I've seen how long I can sleep in.

And it's been awesome.  I would not want to do this all day every day. But for a chance to recharge, it's been one of the best times I've ever had.

Tomorrow Hubby comes home. And we'll have time, just the two of us.  Then, Sunday afternoon, we'll go see the kids.  And I'll be ready to be a Mommy again.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome, well-deserved break! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I wish tornadoes hadn't interferred with your weekend plans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that this does sound fun! When my husband took our two boys to a father and sons camp out last year. I thought I was going to go do something really fun,but I stayed home instead and it was great!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips