Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My coolest Christmas Present

You may remember last year, when I almost got a cricut for Christmas. What stopped me, more than anything, was the continual cost of buying cartridges - just too much for my frugal self.

While I was researching, I found a similar product, called a Silhouette SD. I say similar, but it is SO much cooler! It will cut pretty much any font already on your computer, and if you want different shapes and such, most are just a buck and a quick download from their store.

I have entered literally dozens of contests in the last year trying for one. But no luck. However, the company ran an AMAZING Cyber Monday deal (as in almost $200 off the total). I gathered my courage, and actually asked my in-laws to get it for me for Christmas. My father-in-law responded that he could never deny me anything, but they were busy and I needed to order it for them, and here’s all the money for it.

Wow, if I was less than honest, this could be rather dangerous. But instead, I’ve far to big a guilt complex to take advantage of their generosity.

Anyway, this morning look what I found on my doorstep.

Isn’t she beautiful!

Set up wasn't hard. In fact, the hardest part was figuring out where to place the machine next to the computer.

I’ve been playing all day. I haven’t broken out the vinyl that was included, but instead have been cutting up all kinds of paper and fabric. Yes, FABRIC! If you back it with wonder under, it will cut thin-ish fabric too.

I whipped up these ornaments for my primary kids:

Each has their initial (cut from fabric). I also made these tags. You can design it on the Silhouette’s software, PRINT it in your printer, and then CUT it out! It can optically scan and align so no problems.

This thing is way fun. I’ve got so many things I want to do with it! So if my blog gets a bit crafty in the next while, you’ll know why!




4 comments:

  1. I've entered dozens of giveaways for one of these, too. You're right, they're SO much cooler than a cricut!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continue to amaze me! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That look so cool! I can't wait to see all the cute things you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got one on cyber Monday too! I am very excited! But, mine is from my hubby so it has to be wrapped and put under the tree. :( Can't wait to break it out and get crafty! I think we are crafting bosom friends for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips