Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A first for me

I watched the last presidential debate last night. I must say, while it was better than the previous two, I still did way too much muttering under my breath at the screen. Why can't politicians just answer questions? Even when they say they'll straight talk, they dance and use smoke screens instead. And really, must we badmouth the current president any more? Yes, he's made some bad choices, but he's also tackled topics that generations of politicians refused to touch. He was the best man for the job at the time. His time is almost up. Why don't we leave him alone?

When President Bush's approval rating started dropping rapidly earlier this summer, I gave serious thought to writing him a letter thanking him for all the good he has done. I didn't do it. I've thought about it several times since then, but haven't done it. Last night pushed me over the edge, and I wrote that letter. I just wanted to thank him for doing what was right over what was popular. (I'm not naive. I know he'll never see it, but I still feel better having made the effort.)

Have you ever written a politician? My Hubby does this at least once a month (he even called twice over the recent bailout bill), but I'd never done it. Would you care too? You can find the contact info for the White House here:http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/ Try it. It felt pretty good.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips