Monday, September 19, 2011

Turning up the heat

One day, Hubby ruined my ironing board.

Ok, that sounds bad.  Hubby is a delightful man who does all his own ironing. So I really can't complain too much. And in his defense, our iron was acting up and ended up completely shorting out.  I just wish he hadn't laid it down on the ironing board when he realized it was happening.

So, for months now, we've tried to iron around this:

It even went clear through to the pad underneath.

Now, I've never liked this cover.  And it was yucky and stained all over too.

So I thought I'd make a pretty one with this fun fabric:

There are lots of tutorials out there to recover your ironing board.  This one and This one were the two that I used.

Trying it on for size before the elastic

All in all, I'm super happy with the results!

 And a bonus - I actually learned how to use bias tape right!

I found a tutorial on making your own bias tape - something I've done lots of times before. And then, I read her instructions for actually sewing it on. It was life changing!  I've always just sandwiched it in, and never been very happy with the results.  This is so much better!

Of course, you don't actually see the bias tape on the top:

But it still, I love the contrast.

The only thing I'd change is the amount of elastic on the cover. You do actually need 4 yards, but only to thread it through.   Once I pulled it tight, I used only about 2 yards.

BWS tips button


1 comment:

  1. This turned out really well. Now I know why ironing board covers have string to pull them tight... they don't want to use too much elastic. :)


Blogging tips