Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

I'm an idiot . . .part 2

I probably haven't mentioned it before, but I love to read. As in "I could live without chocolate and oxygen easier than without good books" love to read. I always have a book or three that I'm reading. It's been difficult since moving to Texas to find good books. Too often just as I get into one, smut fills the pages and I have to stop. It's very frustrating.

I found a free e book today (check out http://www.marcialynnmcclure.com/kissingcousins.cfm, sign up for the free newsletter to download.) It's a romance, and a very cheesy romance at that, but it is clean. (ok, so there is a TON of WAY TOO MUCH KISSING, but it never steps over the line from kissing to anything else, and there is no language or anything in it either. It was a fun worthwhile read today for me). It's been rather cold out, and with the homey Christmas tree lights glowing, it was perfect weather for curling up with a good book and a mug of hot chocolate.

Recently I've been re-reading the Anne of Green Gables series. It's been a breath of fresh air. While I love a good Sci-fi, or fantasy, or mystery, there is something so refreshing to go back into time to when life was so simple. So easy, so carefree. I long to really mend clothes, churn my own butter, and memorize poems as a pastime.

So, to set the scene. It's a glorious crisp, bright day outside. The sun is shining merrily through the almost bare tree tops. The Christmas tree is lit up, casting a rosy glow around the room. Christmas carols are playing faintly in the apartment upstairs, adding just enough musical background to make it a truly homey sight. In my hands I hold Anne of the Island, and am down to the last 10 pages - where Anne finally realizes how much she loves Gilbert as he lays almost dying, and they have their beautiful talk and proposal and finally kiss. All is well in my little world as I read . . . .

Um, no. That would be the part where I'm and idiot. You see, I have a 4 year old and a toddler. While sometimes they play well together, often they don't, especially if they see mommy going for a book. They were playing so nicely together that I thought I could just finish up. Instead it took me 45 minutes to read those last 10 pages. In the mean time, I broke up 3 fights, made dinner, changed diapers, cleaned up spills, did 2 time outs, and got extremely frustrated that I couldn't just enjoy my book! But then again, what was I thinking, trying to read the most romantic, sweetest part of the whole book while my kiddos were awake. Really, you'd think I'd have learned by now to just wait until bedtimes.

I eventually finished the story, but it was NOT the same as when I read it as a 12 year old. It could have been close if I could have really gotten into it, but no one could having that many interruptions! Sigh. I'll just have to try again with the next book . . .

1 comment:

  1. Okay this one made me laugh out loud!!!!!!!
    Have you read either Fablehaven or Inkheart?
    Just wondering!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips