Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

rants

I had planned on this wonderful uplifting post about my amazing experiences over the weekend. Well, that post is going to have to wait. One of the reasons I started this blog was so I could talk about whatever I wanted without everyone and their dog talking to me about it - which is why I'm semi anonymous here. Of course, that backfired just a touch, since I'm related to most of my followers. Not that I'm complaining that people read me, just know I need to rant for a minute.

I'm trying really hard today to be grateful. I mean, at least Hubby has a job, right? There are thousands of people out there, especially pilots, who have found themselves out of a job. We even know a few. But I am so ticked off at his company right now I could scream.

Moving across country was supposed to be the best thing for our whole family. We got to live close to family, buy a house, meet new people, and Hubby's schedule was going to be so much better since he would have twice the seniority. The commute wasn't going to be bad because he was also changing bases. Hubby started that process clear back in April. It took until middle of August for us to FINALLY get word that he would be changing, starting October 1. Which got pushed back to November 1. And then December 2. But we were getting close. We've been counting down, getting so excited that this was his last time to bid for Dallas.

Until today. Hubby just told me he's been put off, AGAIN! Now his start date isn't until, get this MARCH 1 ?!??!?!?!?!?!? "'m more irate than I have words for. He can't hold a line any more in Dallas, but they won't let him change to the new base because "staffing reasons". What? You don't have room for him where he is, but he can't move because they might need him where he is right now. Um, yah, that makes sense.

This messes up Christmas (because his training will be all messed up). This could mess up Girly-Lou's birthday. And I'm pretty sure this means our chances of him being here for the baby being born are next to zilch now. He has to spend even more time away from the family, just when we thought it was going to get better.

On the plus side, he does have two ways to fight this, and he promised to do all he can to get this changed back. But right now I'm so angry I could just hit something. Maybe I should go bake some bread. There is something very therapeutic about knocking some dough around, and the smell might help me calm down.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, REALLY big whimper!!! ARgh!! No fair! Can I throw a tantrum with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so lame!! I am sorry sis! I hope things get worked out. Love you lots and miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really the pits; but you are right, there are still some really great things going on. Dan does have a job and life is really good. Love you all so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your situation sounds a little familiar. We thought moving from Detroit to Atlanta was going to be a "great career move" for Taylor. Better city, better plane, better payscale... but he ended up being on a yucky reserve schedule this year. 10 days off per month, and the rest of the days on reserve 12 hours (with a 90 minute call out). He never flew, and it was driving both of us crazy. One month he only flew 4.2 hours! When I lost my job in ATL, and a good housing arrangement came up in Utah, we jumped ship from ATL. Now he's based in MEM. More days off per month, plus the flexibility of FedEx jumpseating. Commuting husbands are not cool, especially when a pilot is already gone so much. Hopefully things will work our for you....I know how hard it is to have my guy gone on special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I'm terrified to move. Rex has had job opportunities elsewhere, and since I write, there's no reason I can't do it from AnyTown USA. But I'd be nervous to change the kids schools and shake everything up to have Rex not be home, have the job change, etc.

    Good luck to you.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips