Saturday, July 16, 2011

Bedroom stage 1: the bed

The first thing I started working on was the bed for Buddy's room. First on the list was buying an actual mattress. (he slept on that poor crib mattress/twin frame combo for a sad amount of time. He started sleeping on the floor because it was more comfortable! It was a joyous day when the mattress came!)  The headboard is the same one my Hubby used as a teenager.

I used THIS tutorial to learn how to make pinwheels. I was able to scrounge fabric from my stash for almost all of it.  In total, I spent less than $10 for THE ENTIRE QUILT!  The white you see is from a thrifted white sheet. The backing is another thrifted white sheet that I colored with Rit dye.

I thought it needed a bit more variety of blues, so I did buy 3 different fabrics, but since I only needed 1/3 of a yard of each, that was only about $6.  My biggest trick: I took this:

And used it for the batting. Yup. My old bed-in-a-bag comforter I used 9 years ago in collage now looks pretty darn cute. (it's a little hard to see on his bed. So here's a shot of it all spread out on my queen sized bed)

It's not perfect, not by a long shot:

But even with all the weird puckers where I didn't measure square, it looks great on the bed.

The yellow throw at the foot of the bed was a $5 find at a thrift store.

The Mario Pillow set me back $3.50 for 1/2 yard of fleece and THIS tutorial.

The anchor pillow I used a $2 remnant portion and more blue scraps. I did to a reverse applique anchor (just googled "anchor pictures" and found a shape I liked.



Total cost this stage: $20.

See the whole room HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips