Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bliss by the Bowlful

I’d like to introduce you to THE MOST AMAZING THING YOUR SWEET TOOTH HAS EVER HAD.
IMG_8711
(and yes, those caps are completely necessary!)

Honestly, I can’t think of a single amazing dessert that I’ve ever enjoyed more than this one!
Let me set the stage for how this deliciousness came to be.

First, I’m in charge of all the activities for the women at my church.  We recently had a produce manager come and talk to us. Of course, we HAD to have super yummy fresh produce for refreshments!  And of COURSE only half of the people showed up that we were expecting. Even with giving a bunch of stuff away, I went home with almost 2 pounds of strawberries.  I had also made the BEST fruit dip for that night and had a huge bowl full left. 

Second, there was a very real possibility that Hubby would not even be home for Mother’s Day.  And even if he was, he wouldn’t have time to do anything for it. We discussed it beforehand, and decided to celebrate later.  But, it was STILL Mother’s Day, dang it! And if I was cooking, I was going to make something drool worthy.  I planned my favorite menu and just needed dessert.  So I opened up my fridge for some inspiration.  Those luscious strawberries were staring me in the face. Strawberry shortcake, of course!  I thought to myself. But what if we used that awesome dip instead of whipped cream!  And the typical angel food cake is nice, but what if we went for full fledged pound cake to make it even more tasty! LOVE this idea!

So that’s what I did.  I decided to try my hand at making my own pound cake.  Results: yummy, but oh BOY  do I need a better pan. In spite of very liberally greasing and flouring, it came out in chunks. Well, we can deal with that! It turned the whole thing into a bit more of a trifle idea, but hey, it was edible!

Ready for the recipe?

Lick Your Lips Shortcake
*Pound cake (I made mine from scratch using this recipe)
*Strawberries, de-hulled and sliced
*fruit dip (I combined these two recipes into my own )

Grab a bowl. Crumble up your pound cake. Sprinkle about 4 strawberries worth of slices on top. Dollop a great big spoonful of dip.  Eat with great enjoyment!

Fruit Dip:
*7 oz. marshmallow cream
*8 oz. cream cheese
*zest of 1 orange

Beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy. Beat in marshmallow cream and zest.  (I added in some fresh juice too, but it made it too runny. So next time I’ll skip that part)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips