Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Book Review: Breath of Angel

Ok, guys. I'm bugged about this review. See, I was one of the first people to get this book. And I read it really fast. And, while it had some great things in it, there were things that bothered me. Things that could have been fixed if I would have reviewed it quickly.

But I wanted to think about the book for a few days.  And then I lost it.  And I've read a dozen other books since then. And now, here I am 3 months later, finally re-reading it and reviewing.  Way too close to publication for any good to come of it. GRRRR!!

So with that beginning, here we go!

First off: from the back of the book: "
Melaia, a young priestess, witnesses the gruesome murder of an emaciated stranger in the temple courtyard. Just after she discovers wings on the stranger, the murderer enters the temple, and what Melaia has known only through song and story suddenly takes on flesh. Angels and shape-shifters were myths and stories . . . until now.

Melaia finds herself in the middle of a blood feud between two immortal brothers who destroyed the stairway to heaven, stranding angels in the earthly realm.  When the feud turns violent and Melaia becomes a target, she finds refuge with a band of wandering angels attempting to restore the stairway. But the restoration is impossible without the repayment of an ancient debt, the “breath of angel, blood of man,” a payment that involves Melaia’s heart, soul, and destiny."

Angels, magic, and myths? Right up my alley!  I liked this book. The plot is complicated enough to keep my interest, but not too much that I couldn't follow it.  The book unfortunately has that slightly unpolished book newer authors typically have. Nothing horrible, but just the occasional awkward phrase.

More than anything, this book NEEDS a glossary. I think almost any book involving more than 5 main characters could use one, but especially if they all have names like Pym and Paullus and Peron.  It could also really use a map.  The directions may seem clear in the author's head, but not in mine!

There were also several plot points that needed more explaining.  For example, what was with all the Comain's disappearing? Where are they going/why is this included?  Why/how/what about the trees echoing Melaia's thoughts? Can they actually speak to her or not?  How did Trevan know who Melaia's father was?  Or Livia for that matter!  

I hope most of these points will be cleared up in future books (this is planned to be part of a trilogy.) But in all, it was an intriguing premise, and I enjoyed it both times I read this!

*I received an advanced reading copy of this book from WaterBrook Press

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips