Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Miracles happen

Today, I accomplished something I've wanted to do for at least 2 years now.

It's probably been longer, but for the last two years I've been passionate about it.

I'm a good cook. I really am. I don't get super fancy with main dishes, but I'm capable of following a recipe to make something divine.

And my desserts . . . I'm good at desserts. I can do a cheesecake with no cracks. I can dip smooth chocolates. My pies get great reviews. People get excited when I bring dessert.

But there is one thing I never bring. I never make to give away. I only make at all if my kids beg for them.

The  humble chocolate chip cookie.

Seriously. I've never made a decent one. They look funny. They spread like crazy. The texture is weird. They have odd aftertastes.

Chocolate chip cookies are the most basic thing ever. And I can't make a good one. On a scale of 1-10, my cookies hit about a 3.  My kids (and Hubby) think they are fine. But they just aren't worth the calories.

I've tried literally more than a dozen recipes. I've googled "best chocolate chip cookie" for more inspiration. I've emailed back and forth with an award winning cook for what my problem is. I've asked friends. Nothing has really helped.

Everyone has told me the same thing: just stick the dough in the fridge. yah. I've tried that. It bumps my 3 cookies up to about a 3.5. Still not that great.  On my own, I've deduced that there is something wrong with my flour portions. 

A few weeks ago, I tried again. And I finally nailed the looks. They didn't spread like melting ice cream. But the taste. Ugg. Not what I wanted.

Yesterday, I found this recipe. Now, I've tried putting in pudding before.  And they are good tasting cookies. But they just turn into puddles of gunk when cooked.

This time, though. Something worked different.  I added a full extra cup of flour. I followed her directions to a T.  The difference in shaping the cookies, adding the flour slowly, the perfect cooking time.
 

At last. I made a great chocolate chip cookie. A cookie I would actually want to eat.


I may have gone a bit crazy with pictures, but I'm just so excited!

 Ahh. Life is good.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Laree, what a wonderful post! I am so glad you enjoyed these cookies and that I was able to help! You made my day :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh... It looks like you may have a few too many cookies... So, if you are wondering what to do with all of your amazing cookies... you could mail them to mom's, and I'd help you eat them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat them all! (don't bring any over--they look divine!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found ur blog thru Amanda'a post of the same cookies :-))
    Oh they sure look so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips